“Despite the rhetoric of employee engagement, organisations still want to exert tighter control” (Evans 2013).
Critically evaluate this statement, by exploring the continuing use of scientific management (ie Taylorism) despite the wide promotion of ‘people-centred’ management theories.
Sources: You should use a minimum of six articles from academic journals and your prescribed textbook, but NOT Wikipedia or other non-academic sources.
Suggested academic sources to use in this assignmen.
Derksen, M 2014, ‘Turning men into machines? Scientific management, industrial psychology, and the “human factor”’, Journal of the History of the Behavioral Sciences, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 148–165, doi:10.1002/jhbs.21650.
Evans, C & Holmes, L 2013, Re-Tayloring Management: Scientific Management a Century On, Ashgate, e-book, accessed 23 July (especially chapter 10)
Giorgio Zuffo, R 2011, ‘Taylor is dead, hurray Taylor! The “human factor” in scientific management: between ethics, scientific psychology and common sense’, Journal of Business and Management, vol. 17, no.1, pp. 23–41, retrieved 23 July 2014, Business Source Complete database.
Jaffee, D. (2001) ‘The Rise of the Factory System’, Organization Theory: Tension and Change, London, McGraw-Hill, Chapter 3, pp. 42-63,
Newman, M & Guy, M 1998, ‘Taylor’s triangle, Follett’s web’, Administrative Theory and Praxis, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 287–297,
Parker, L 2005, ‘Fads, stereotypes and management gurus: Fayol and Follet today’, Management Decision, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1335–1357, doi:10.1108/00251740510634903.
Ritzer, G. (2010) The McDonaldisation of Society, 6th Edition. Sage: London: Chapters 1, 2 & 6.
Thompson, P. and McHugh, D. (1995) Work Organizations: A critical introduction, 2nd ed., London, McMillan, chapter 4.
Taylor, F W 2012, The Principles of Scientific Management, The Floating Press, e-book, accessed 24 July 2014,
ACADEMIC ESSAY WRITING
assignment should be presented in the form of an academic essay. This means it must present a well-structured response to the question. In this unit your essay should include:
• an introduction
• well-constructed paragraphs using topic sentences and supporting evidence drawn from academic sources
• clearly presented arguments and analysis
• a conclusion
• references following the Harvard referencing style:
In an academic essay You will be assessed on the basis of:
• whether you have selected appropriate academic sources to answer the question
• how well you have understood and analysed these academic sources in order to discuss and critically evaluate the statement in the question
• how well you communicate your response to the question in academic essay format.
• Do not use long paragraphs (250 words maximum). Do not use very short paragraphs (one or two short sentences).
• In this assignment you can use meaningful headings to help structure your essay.
• The Study Skills website has tips on writing an assignment:
• USING APPROPRIATE
• You can use academic references such as books, book chapters or peer reviewed journal articles which are available from databases. A good way to start is to do a Library Search
• Note that Wikipedia, answers.com, general websites and other personal opinion or social networking websites are NOT acceptable in academic essays.
• Note that lecture slides are NOT counted as an academic sources so if you want to use the information on the slides, you need to find the original journal article, book or book chapter and reference the original source.
• You must show that you have read and understood the academic sources you have used in writing your essay.
• All ideas from the academic sources you have read must be correctly cited and referenced following the Harvard referencing style:
Academic referencing involves two interconnected parts:
1. In-text citations (in the body of your academic essay)
• Every academic source you refer to must be have an accurate in-text citation using the Harvard referencing style.
• DO NOT use foot notes.
• All direct quotes must have page numbers in addition to author, year.
2. References (at the end of your essay)
• Full details of all academic sources you refer to in-text must be listed in your reference list and correctly formatted using the Harvard referencing style.
Here are some guidelines to help you present your assignment in a reader-friendly way:
• MSWord document format (.doc, or .docx). NO other format will be accepted.
• 1.5 line spacing, 2.5 cm margins
• Easy to read font size 11 or 12
• page numbers consecutively in the footer
• your student ID number and name in the header.
Moderation of assignments: Before results are returned to students, the unit team will moderate the marking to ensure that the same marking standards are applied to all students within the unit and to check all essays for plagiarism using Turnitin software.
NOTE: Turnitin does not check plagiarism. It is your responsibility to reference correctly to avoid plagiarism. A Turnitin originality report will highlight only the exact words you have used from a source. Turnitin can help you see where you have used direct quotations. It is your responsibility to reference exact quotations correctly, using the Deakin Harvard referencing style. If you have paraphrased what you have read, you must still reference the source correctly to show which academic sources you have used.
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.