Topic: jabal ali port
Note: Read all instructions carefully
• An individual must choose a product/service organization. You must select a large firm in the UAE or international firms operating in the UAE. (Hint: Select a firm that has very significant operations management activities.) Here are some examples of firms (companies) in the UAE that you can consider:
• Jebel Ali Port
• This is an individual project worth 30% of the Course and due on week 14.
• In your answers it is highly recommended that you refer to the handouts from week 1 to week 15.
• Individual Report must be submitted on SafeAsign.
• You must also do some research into chosen organization to strengthen your answers. Students must analyze the questions rather than taking descriptive approach.
• Ensure all sources from other books and websites are correctly referenced.
BASICS OF THE PROJECT: 10 marks
Title page (1 mark)
The Title can be something like: “Operations Management practices of ___________ .”
This should be a separate page. You can include a photograph or logo or something here.
Table of contents (1 mark)
The Table of Contents must indicate the headings in the project as well as the page numbers. The Table of Contents must also be on a separate page.
Basic guidelines for the project: (7 marks)
– Use numbered headings and paragraphs. This will make referrals easier and will make references to the Table of Contents easier.
– Check the spelling and sentence structure [grammatical errors].
– The project should be typed at 1½ line spacing. The Font size should be 12. You should use Times New Roman or Arial Font
– Page layout should be portrait.
– You must quote and include your references. Also include a list of references at the back of your project. This is very important.
Structure of the project (1 mark)
Here is a basic structure for the project:
– CAPS and BOLD for the main headings
– Bold, for the subheadings and
– Bold and Italics for the sub-subheadings
If the company provides a service, you may have to be creative and elaborate on certain sections. Service companies will have unique operations management activities and you should highlight them. The marks allocation will be adjusted accordingly.
1. INTRODUCTION TO THE STUDY [Page guideline: 1 Pages]
Background of the company and the industry in which the company competes
In this section you provide a brief background of the company. Be sure to discuss the main products and/or services that the company sells. Describe the industry in which the company operates. You can mention something about the location and if the company operates locally or internationally. You can also briefly mention something about the competition and how you believe the company competes (relating this to their operations), as well as something about the company’s position in the market. For example, are they market leaders or not?
2. STRATEGY OF THE COMPANY [Page guideline: 2 Pages]
• What is the “mission” of the company? If unknown, explain what you think the mission would be.
• What are the three main strategies that a firm can follow?
• What is a core competence and what is the core competence of the firm?
• Which strategy is the firm following? Is it a low cost, differentiation or response strategy? Why do you say so? Justify your answer.
o Provide an example of a functional (or departmental strategy for the firm)
o Illustrate how this functional strategy is aligned with the organizational strategy.
3. FORECASTING [Page guideline: 2 Pages]
• Briefly explain the different forecasting approaches and which approaches the firm is using.
• Provide examples of how the firm can use the different forecasting techniques (qualitative and quantitative).
• Provide examples for the firm for each of the time horizons of the forecasts.
4. CAPACITY PLANNING [Page guideline: 2 Pages]
• How is the firm managing its capacity? Explain your answer.
• Do they have enough capacity or do they need more capacity? (What do they do if they need more capacity?)
• Provide examples of short-term and long-term capacity planning. What is the difference?
• Which capacity alternative is followed by the firm to enhance capacity management?
• Is the firm managing capacity according to their selected strategy (low cost/ differentiation/ response)?
5. Process Selection and Facility Layout [Page guideline: 2 Pages]
Give a chart depicting the process that happens in the organization. If you have a difficulty you may describe an initial process and further explain the other processes.
• Which process design is the firm following? Explain the process briefly in terms of volume, variety and flexibility.
o Provide an example.
o What are the advantages of the process?
• Which layout is the firm using? Study the layout of the organization, what type of layout is it? Do you think the layout is good and helps in free flow of work? Explain with examples.
• Is the firm managing their process design and facility layout according to their selected strategy (low cost/ differentiation/ response)?
6. PRODUCT AND SERVICE DESIGN [Page guideline: 2 Pages]
• Discuss the various product designs that the firm uses for its products or services.
• Where would you position the firm’s products or services in their product life cycles and why do you say so?
• Is the firm managing product design according to their selected strategy (low cost/ differentiation/ response)?
• Briefly explain the legal ethical and sustainability issues that a firm has to consider when designing a new product.
• What is the firm doing to consider the effects of legal, ethical and sustainability considerations in the design of their products/services?
7. LOCATION [Page guideline: 2 Pages]
• Where is the firm located? Explain your answer.
• In your opinion, is this a good location? Why or why not?
• Which factors did they consider (were present) when they made this decision?
• Does the location support the strategy of the firm? Why or why not?
8. QUALITY MANAGEMENT [Page guideline: 2 Pages]
• Discuss the dimensions and management of quality in this section.
• What is the firm doing to improve quality? What can you recommend to them in terms of quality?
• What are the costs associated with quality and provide examples for each cost category for the firm.
• Identify quality tools and explain which of the quality tools is the firm using?
• What is inspection and benchmarking and does the firm make use of inspection and benchmarking?
• Where can a firm use inspection and where does the firm use inspection?
9. CONCLUSIONS [Page guideline: 1 Page]
In this section, you have to make some conclusions and recommendations to the company for the way forward. Based on the findings in the project, where do they see themselves in the future? Is the company following their selected strategy? What can you suggest to them? What recommendations can you make to them?
Organization of Report: 10 marks
1. Introduction 10 marks
2. Strategy 10 marks
3. Forecasting 10 marks
4. Capacity Planning 10 marks
5. Process Selection and Facility Layout 10 marks
6. Product and Service Design 10 marks
7. Location 10 marks
8. Quality and Quality Management 10 marks
9. Conclusion and Recommendations 10 marks
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.