Most biological energy here on Earth can be traced back to one single source: the sun. Plants and blue-green algae use photosynthesis to trap the electromagnetic wave energy generated by the sun, transforming it into chemical energy in the form of food for themselves and for other creatures that eat them.
Sounds simple so far, right? In an effort to simplify the way we think about creatures and their energy relationships, we often use food chains that show a very clear link between creatures and the things that eat them. Here is one example:
Rose bush > Beetle > Robin > Domestic Cat > Coyote
Organisms are connected by an arrow that points toward the creature consuming it.
While this kind of chain is great for visualizing how some creatures eat, it is not very realistic since most creatures eat a variety of foods. Most robins, for example, like to eat many kinds of insects, not just beetles.
You can learn more about the ecological relationships and the flow of energy through food chains and food webs by clicking on the publisher resources for chapter 3 and selecting “Biology Basics.” On this page, find and explore the study module “Ecosystems and Communities.”
To demonstrate how real creatures behave and to better portray the flow of energy through an ecological community, we often use food webs as described within the energy flow section of the module above.
Please respond to the following questions throughout the week. Focus on part 1 early in the week and part 2 after you have completed the unit readings and explored the provided materials within this prompt.
Part 1:Discussion post needs to be at least 150 words with at least three references
• Provide an example of a food chain in the area where you live. ( Mississippi) I have access to country and city life.
• Humans are parts of food chains and food webs, too. Where on a food web would you typically find humans (near the bottom with the producers, at the top with carnivores, or somewhere in between)?
• What are some advantages of being part of a food web rather than a food chain?
Part 2: Discussion post needs to be at least 150 words in length with three references
Here is a food web for Lake Michigan:
Lake Michigan Food Web
Sea lamprey (Petromyzonmarinus). An aggressive, non-native parasite that fastens onto its prey and rasps out a hole with its rough tongue.
To see this PDF, you’ll need to download the free Adobe Reader .
• In the Lake Michigan food web, is it possible to identify the most important producer? Why or why not?
• What would happen if there was a change in the population size for any one of the producers (either an increase or a decrease)? How could these changes impact other producers and organisms on other trophic levels?
• Provide at least two types of impacts that humans could have on this food web.
• Read the description of the sea lamprey on page 2 of the food web. This species is described as non-native.
• Propose a mechanism for how this fish was introduced to Lake Michigan.
• What challenges could occur within a food web when a new predator like this is introduced into an ecosystem?
• What natural population controls are missing for this species within this food web?
• Do you think steps should be taken to eradicate this species from the food web? Explain why or why not? If so, what steps can be implemented?
Remember to read the Discussion requirements, found in the Unit 4 “Directions” Icon.
Our Service Charter
Excellent Quality / 100% Plagiarism-FreeWe employ a number of measures to ensure top quality essays. The papers go through a system of quality control prior to delivery. We run plagiarism checks on each paper to ensure that they will be 100% plagiarism-free. So, only clean copies hit customers’ emails. We also never resell the papers completed by our writers. So, once it is checked using a plagiarism checker, the paper will be unique. Speaking of the academic writing standards, we will stick to the assignment brief given by the customer and assign the perfect writer. By saying “the perfect writer” we mean the one having an academic degree in the customer’s study field and positive feedback from other customers.
Free RevisionsWe keep the quality bar of all papers high. But in case you need some extra brilliance to the paper, here’s what to do. First of all, you can choose a top writer. It means that we will assign an expert with a degree in your subject. And secondly, you can rely on our editing services. Our editors will revise your papers, checking whether or not they comply with high standards of academic writing. In addition, editing entails adjusting content if it’s off the topic, adding more sources, refining the language style, and making sure the referencing style is followed.
Confidentiality / 100% No DisclosureWe make sure that clients’ personal data remains confidential and is not exploited for any purposes beyond those related to our services. We only ask you to provide us with the information that is required to produce the paper according to your writing needs. Please note that the payment info is protected as well. Feel free to refer to the support team for more information about our payment methods. The fact that you used our service is kept secret due to the advanced security standards. So, you can be sure that no one will find out that you got a paper from our writing service.
Money Back GuaranteeIf the writer doesn’t address all the questions on your assignment brief or the delivered paper appears to be off the topic, you can ask for a refund. Or, if it is applicable, you can opt in for free revision within 14-30 days, depending on your paper’s length. The revision or refund request should be sent within 14 days after delivery. The customer gets 100% money-back in case they haven't downloaded the paper. All approved refunds will be returned to the customer’s credit card or Bonus Balance in a form of store credit. Take a note that we will send an extra compensation if the customers goes with a store credit.
24/7 Customer SupportWe have a support team working 24/7 ready to give your issue concerning the order their immediate attention. If you have any questions about the ordering process, communication with the writer, payment options, feel free to join live chat. Be sure to get a fast response. They can also give you the exact price quote, taking into account the timing, desired academic level of the paper, and the number of pages.